Welcome to the Plano Police Department
The Plano Police Department mission is to preserve public safety and quality of life within the City of Plano, to respond effectively to the changing needs of the community, and to promote mutual respect between the Police Department and the people they serve (P.P.D. Manual, 200, p.ii).
To preserve the high quality of life and feeling of safety for the city's diverse population, all members of the Plano Police Department are committed to serve with professionalism, respect and concern for the community. To optimize the use of police resources, the department balances firm and quick response to all forms of crime with community problem solving and crime prevention approaches. The department is mission-oriented in all of its priorities and activities.
The department philosophy and work processes reflect modern, quality law enforcement concepts and technology, involving every member of the department in an effort to continually improve all areas of administration and operations. Quality leadership at all levels reflects the department's commitment to a strong work ethic, while valuing diversity, promoting effective learning, enhancing and maintaining flexibility.
The Plano Police Department constantly strives for effectiveness in preventing and fighting crime, for effective collaboration with other city departments, and for providing leadership and support for regional law enforcement efforts. To this end, the department recruits, hires, trains, supports and retains qualified personnel as sworn and civilian members of progressive law enforcement agency (P.P.D. Manual, 2007, p.ii).
- Service: Being aware of those who need law enforcement assistance and meeting or exceeding their expectations for service.
- Excellence: Being clear about and striving to achieve the high-test standards of performance in all aspects of police work.
- Integrity: Committing ourselves to elevated standards of trust, responsibility, and discipline while promoting justice in a fair and impartial manner.
- Compassion: Recognizing and responding with sincerity to the needs of those who are concerned for their safety, require important information, or are temporarily unable to provide for themselves.
- Pride: Believing in social value of police work, considering it to be among the most noble of professions, and deriving personal, and professional satisfaction from the effective performance police duties (P.P.D. Manual, 2007, p.iii).
Code of Ethics
As a member of the Plano Police Department, my first duty is to serve the people of Plano. I will safeguard lives and property; protect the innocent against the violence or disorder. Above all else, I shall respect the constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice. I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all, maintaining courageous claim in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule, develop self-restraint, and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deep in both my personal and official life. I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land, and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty. I will never act officiously nor permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendship influences my decisions. With no compromise for crimes and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately with out fear of favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force of violence and never accepting gratuities. I recognize my badge of office as a symbol of public faith, and accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...the protection of the people and their property (P.P.D. Manual, 1983, p.iv).